Thanks mostly to mom who spent many an hour in the kitchen with me and my brother and sister. I learned how to shop, plan a meal and get everything to come out (usually) all at the same time.
It came in handy when I got a job as a short order cook during college at this little chain of greasy spoons in Northern VA, The Steak ‘N Egg Kitchen. It is really amazing the kind of people you run into at a place like that at 4 in the morning.
I have a little loose leaf notebook filled with family recipes. Some from my family and some from others…
Here’s a couple of favorites
Grandma Blashill’s Banana Bread
- 1/3 Cup Softened Oleo
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 or 3 Very Ripe Bananas (at least 1 Cup)
- 2 Eggs, Well Beaten
- Mix Well Then Add:
- 1 & 3/4 Cups Sifted Flour
- 3/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 &
- 1/4 Tsp. Cream of Tartar
- Stir Thoroughly
- Spray loaf pans with cooking spray
- Spread into 1 Large loaf or bread pan or 2 Small loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Check at 45 minutes and continue cooking till firm in the middle.
Grandma Blashill’s Chili Con Carne (Heavily modified)
- 1 & 1/2 Lbs. Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- Small amount of Oil
- 1 Med. Onion, quartered & sliced
- 1 Clove Garlic, chopped
- 2 + Tbs. Chili Powder
- Add the following to taste:Salt, Pepper Parsley, Garlic Salt, Hot Pepper, Paprika
- 2 Cans Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Whole Tomatoes w/liquid
- 1 Can Stewed Tomatoes w/ liquid
- 1 Lg. Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Sm. Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Jar Whole Small Mushrooms
- (Go nuts with the spices, I do, dump anything in that sounds good)
- Brown meat in oil with onion, garlic and spices.
- Add beans, tomato products and mushrooms.
- Add more spices.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer 2-plus hours.
There’s lots more, including an incredible BBQ sauce, a Hungarian Percolt (goulash)so good that is illegal in 10 states, and much more. So invite yourself over and chow down!
Originally posted before I added WordPress to this site. Published date is approximate.
Comments are always welcome but the spammers found the contact form so It is disabled, you'll have to use email...